Select Page

Organics 101

Food scraps and food-soiled paper is no longer trash. Combine with yard waste into the green (or green-lidded) yard waste cart. The yard waste cart is now called the organics cart.

What Goes in Organics

Separate food scraps, food-soiled paper and yard debris from recycling and trash, and place in your green organics collection cart. 

Food scraps, food-soiled paper, yard debris

Note: Monterey County currently does not accept food-soiled paper in the curbside green cart.

No recyclables, plastic, glass, metal, treated wood, hazardous waste, diapers, pet waste, rocks, dirt or sod.

No recyclables and no trash
No rocks, dirt or sod

What is SB 1383?

Senate Bill 1383 requires all California businesses, multifamily complexes and residences to sort food scraps, food-soiled paper, and yard debris from trash and recycling, and subscribe to organics collection service.

The intention of the law is to reduce organic materials going to the landfill, and allowing those materials to become compost. This helps you and your community.


Learn how to comply with California’s SB 1383 regulations and find resources for understanding how the new law will affect businesses and residents by downloading an organics sorting guide including tips for collecting food scraps.

What is SB1383?

Video Resources

Collect Food Scraps During Meal Prep

Sort Food-soiled Paper into Organics

Food Scraps Collection Tips

Food Waste Reduction Tips